YESS Law Mediation Assistant (Remote working)
YESS Law is seeking a new assistant for their DRAW (Dispute Resolution Assistance in the Workplace) mediation service.
In 2020, in response to the increasing need for employment legal advice and assistance due to COVID 19, YESS Law set up DRAW. DRAW is an online pro-bono mediation service that aims to settle disputes between employers and employees without the need for litigation. The service is funded by Trust for London.
The mediations can cover all sorts of employment law disputes including issues about all areas of employment (discrimination, dismissal, whistleblowing, maternity rights). The service covers returning to work, conditions at work, dismissal, and redundancies. The disputes may be at a very early stage, the subject of grievances, in early conciliation with ACAS, or regarding and during tribunal claims.
In addition to the pro bono mediation service, YESS Law aims to provide legal support for low paid employees during the mediation process, so they have access to advice during a limited period.
About YESS Law
We are a specialist employment law charity set up in 2014, with the aim of assisting employees and employers at an affordable price with their employment disputes, without the need for litigation.
YESS employment lawyers provide expert legal advice to employees and employers to settle workplace disputes, saving the time, stress and cost of litigating. We give pragmatic and strategic advice to employees and employers to help them to resolve a dispute quickly and cost effectively.
In addition to DRAW, YESS offers an affordable mediation service, based on the employee’s income and size of employer.
Duration of contract and hours
The DRAW mediation service is currently in its third phase, which has been made possible by funding from Trust for London. The individual would be employed by YESS Law on a flexible working basis, with employment commencing in Summer 2021 (late June) and ending on 31 March 2021. Depending on the requirements of the service, the assistant is to dedicate up to 15 hours per week to the role. This is preferably to be spread over at least 2/3 days per week with the addition of regularly checking emails and phone calls. The role is remote, and equipment will be provided.
Full support will be given to the successful candidate.
This role will be at £13.74 per hour, which will be paid monthly.
Role of the assistant
This role includes, but is not limited to:
- Maintaining the systems required for the successful delivery of the project including keeping the DRAW website up to date.
- Liaising with the mediation consultants weekly on the progress of the project and status of mediations.
- Promote the use of the service to members of the Employment Legal Advice Network and other relevant organisations, working alongside the Mediation Consultants.
- Maintaining the service’s files, carrying out conflict checks, GDPR checking, preparing client care letters and other administrative tasks.
- Liaising with mediators and volunteers willing to support employees during the mediation process and matching them up.
- Liaising with staff at YESS Law, the Director of the Employment Legal Advice Network, members of ELAN, Trust for London and volunteers across the legal sector.
- Responding to enquiries about mediation.
- Conducting full triage of potentially suitable cases including speaking with employers and individuals.
- Preparing draft mediation agreements and settlement agreements, where necessary.
We are looking for somebody who has:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to self-motivate and act on their own initiative.
- An interest in and commitment to the principles of alternative dispute resolution.
- Proficient in the use of IT systems, for example, Office, Zoom, Teams and Trello.
- The confidence to promote mediation widely.
- Experience of working within a team and is a good team worker.
- Experience of managing, participating or observing mediations. This is desired but not essential.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing why you wish to undertake this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 1 working day.
Closing date: 18th June 2021
Interviews: 23rd/24th June 2021
If you have any questions about this role, please get in touch with us at the email above.
We look forward to receiving your application.